Monday, July 27, 2009

My interview @ Cambridge

Hey Guys n Gals!!! Its been long since I wrote on my blog... But keeping the promise I made to myself, here I am... Back again to share this fantastic journey I have embarked on....

Last I spoke about was the interview questions.... but I still have to share my personal experiences .... So here goes!!!

Gautam always says that after a certain point there is no point in preparing for an interview... either you know it or you dont.... in the end its not what you have to say , but rather how you say it that matters...and most importantly, they never ask/do (to) you what you've come prepared for...:)

When I heard that Dr. Jochen Runde is going to interview me himself...(for the ignorants> he is a great economist, who also happens to be the director at Judge)... I experienced for the first time the meaning of sweaty palms... Considering that I dont know the E of economics, I was hyperventilating for the correct reasons... And so the preparations began.... calls to almunini... internet search...magazines... newspapers... everything... I booked a huddle room in the office... wrote key points to all probable questions on the board... made a quick reference to all the websites opened on my laptop which provided supplement information... And then as the wise man (Gautam...did u read the para above)had said it himself, the unexpected happened...

Dr. Runde called me half an hour early and asked me politely if it was alright could we started a little early..... Did I have a choice?????? the question appeared rhetorical, the only answer was an obvious YES... And so the first bullet hit me... A question least expected > "First line of your essays reads - An Armed forces family background has endowed me with many advantages which a childhood spent amongst disciplined, committed and adaptable people naturally inculcates. What advantages are you talking about?"

2) What are the advantages of a military family background?

3) First line of your second essay reads - I believe my style of leadership is dominantly participative. What does that mean?

4) Looks like you want to be an enterpreneur, biz line is completely different from the defense line. How will you make the switch?

5) What can biz ppl learn from defense personnel & vice versa

6) Have you ever travelled to UK before?

Maybe I should have prepared for these questions, but I didnt.. Not once during the interview did I have to refer to my research work... My advise - Work on your strengths and read your essays carefully!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment